IPBM - Introduction
Integrated Planning & Budget Model (IPBM)
The District Budget Study Group (DBSG) held its initial meeting for the academic year 2013-14 on September 6, 2013. During the course of this meeting the new Chancellor, hired in July 2013 raised the question of the district's procedures for integrating the budget with the planning processes conducted at the campuses. Based upon the discussion that ensued it was agreed that a subcommittee of the DBSG would be formed to address the lack of a "formal" budget integration process to include the campuses, the district service centers and Maintenance & Operations.
This ad-hoc group would be called the Chancellor's Work Group (CWG) and would meet in lieu of the full DBSG during the fall semester to establish the parameters and guiding framework for the district-wide integrated planning & budget process (IPB). The meeting notes for this committee are attached as reference (Attachment 1). The CWG membership as well as the committee's charge and timeline are also included as Attachments 2 and Attachment 3.
In order to expedite the process, a subcommittee of the CWG was formed to conduct the preliminary review of IPB plans from the following seven colleges and districts:
- Coast Community College District "Adopted Budget Allocation" (Attachment 6)
- Gavilan Joint Community College "Linking Program Review and the Annual Budget for Better Outcomes" presented at the Spring 2008 Conference of the Association of College Business Officials (ACBO), May 18, 2008 (Attachment 7)
- Kern Community College District, "Budget Allocation Model: BAM" presented at the ACBO Spring 2008 Conference, May 19, 2008 (Attachment 8A, Attachment 8B, Attachment 8C)
- Los Angeles Community College District Budget Allocation Model, presented at the ACBO 2008 Conference, May 19, 2008 (Attachment 9A, Attachment 9B)
- Los Rios Community College District, "Budgeting Principles and Formulas" (Attachment 10)
- Peralta Community College District, "Budget Allocation Model" (Attachment 11A, Attachment 11B, Attachment 11C)
- Skyline College, "Balanced Scorecard", Fall 2007, Office of Planning, Research and Institutional Effectiveness (Attachment 12)
Also included in the subcommittee's review was the CLPCCD district report from School Services of California, Inc (SSCal), "Survey of Campus Budget Allocation Models". This report was completed in 2010 and was used to inform the current budget allocation model (BAM) adopted in FY 2012-13; with initial implementation slated for FY 2013-14 (Attachment 4 and Attachment 5). The SSCal report addressed the question: What models are multi-campus districts using to allocate budgets to their campuses? The districts surveyed included:
- Foothill-DeAnza Community College District
- Kern Community College District*
- Los Angeles Community College District*
- Los Rios Community College District*
- Rancho Santiago Community College District
- San Diego Community College District
- San Mateo Community College District, and
- Yuba Community College District
As noted above with the asterisk (*), there was a duplication of three colleges from the original report by School Services and those reviewed by the CWG. In total, twelve different colleges and districts informed the recommendations contained herein as part of the CLPCCD Integrated Planning and Budgeting (IPB) process.