Alternative Academic Calendar Committee (AACC)
Last Updated on October 17, 2023
Fall 2023 Objectives and Developments
Following continued study of the benefits and liabilities of pursuing a compressed calendar, including feedback from students, faculty, classified professionals and administrators, the AACC is targeting December 2023 to recommend whether to apply to the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office for approval to adopt a compressed academic calendar for the 2026-27 academic year.
Several key documents have been developed as information resources for the AACC and members of the District community. Following are links to current versions, subject to revision as the Committee’s work continues:
- AACC General PowerPoint Presentation
- CLPCCD Traditional Academic Calendar – 2025-26 (Draft)
- CLPCCD Compressed Academic Calendar – 2026-27 (Draft)
- Sample Partial Schedule of Classes – Compressed Calendar – Chabot College
- Sample Partial Schedule of Classes – Compressed Calendar – Las Positas College
- Example Class Scheduling Pattern – Compressed Calendar
- California Community Colleges with Compressed Calendars – 2022-23
- Attendance Accounting Basics – PowerPoint Presentation
- Contact Hours Computation Chart – California Community Colleges
- Scheduling Classes on a 16-Week Compressed Calendar – PowerPoint Presentation
- Key Choices in Compressed Calendar Design – PowerPoint Presentation
- State Regulations on CCC Academic Calendars – PowerPoint Presentation
Scheduled Forum Dates
- Monday, 10/30 @ 12 PM via Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82308670297
- Wednesday, 11/1 @ 3 PM Las Positas College Town Hall in the Main Theater, Mertes Center for the Arts, Bldg 4000
- Friday, 11/3 @ 2 PM via Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83934792926
- Tuesday, 11/7 @ 12 PM Chabot College Hour in the Recital Hall, Bldg 1200, Room 1224
- Thursday, 11/9 @ 6PM vua Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81366524209
Spring 2023 report to Chancellor:
The AACC’s conversations, feedback, and reports indicate continued curiosity of the committee and of the constituents we represent. The committee has illuminated a number of questions unanswered, data undiscovered, and voices unheard around the topic of a compressed calendar. Thus, the committee recommends continuing to meet to study the benefits and liabilities of pursuing a compressed calendar, and whether or not it is a viable option for CLPCCD.
Purpose and make-up of the committee:
- This is a phased multi-year study of the pros and cons of adopting an Alternative Academic Calendar
- 19 voting members appointed in Fall 2022 representing students, faculty, classified professionals, and administrators.
- Consulted the Faculty contract, with specific reference to Section 8D
- Reviewed relevant sections of Title 5 and the Education Code
- Open AACC meetings held twice monthly
- AACC website has current information including meeting agendas and materials, including
a resources page that includes research documents:
- The AACC will continue to meet during Fall of 2023 and conduct more research, campus-wide forums and District-wide surveys leading to a final recommendation on a compressed calendar adoption.
- Spring 2024: If the decision is to adopt a compressed calendar, the district will apply for State Chancellor’s Office permission to do so.
- If CLPCCD proceeds with filing an application to the CCCCO for approval of an alternative academic calendar, the District will allow at least 18-24 months to implement. For example, if CLPCCD files an application in Spring 2024, implementation would be no sooner than Fall 2025.
Where is the Committee’s work? What has been developed to date?
- Developed to date: Sample compressed calendar with two 16-week semesters; Class scheduling parameters and example scheduling pattern for a 16-week semester
- Organized four study groups of AACC members to gather and analyze information on effects of a compressed calendar on student achievement, equitable student outcomes, college programs and operations.
- Partial schedule of classes for 16-week semester for each college.
- Evidence of and impacts on student learning,
- Fiscal implications and the impact a new calendar will have on college operations.
- Potentially create sample schedules for 5 student types.
For more information, questions or comments, please contact:
Phone: (925) 485-5244
Phone: (925) 485-5278
- Compressed Calendar Public Forums PPT
- Compressed Calendar Student Survey - English and Spanish
- AACC Web page QR Code
- Canvas Banner AACC - English
- Canvas Banner AACC - Spanish
- Compressed Calendar Public Forums Flyer - English
- Compressed Calendar Public Forums Flyer - Spanish
- Bilingual Compressed Calendar Public Forums Flyer