For payroll questions please contact:

Sandy Liu

Payroll Technician - Faculty (Full-Time & Part-Time), Student Assistants, Professional Experts, and Trustees

(925) 485-5227

Kira Vu

Payroll Technician - Classified (Monthly & Hourly), Confidential & Supervisory and Temp-On-Call

(925) 485-5226

Kathleen Cramsey

Payroll Manager - Administrators

(925) 485-5228
Fax: (925) 485-5286

Helpful Links

Updating W-4 Exemptions and Allowances

In our continuing effort to move to a paperless environment, it is now possible to submit W-4 changes via CLASS-Web.

You complete IRS Form W-4 so that your employer, CLPCCD, can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. On the W-4 form you report your filing status, multiple jobs, dependents to claim and other optional adjustments including any additional amount you want withheld.

On the IRS website (, you will find the W-4 form, instructions, and a worksheet to assist you in completing the form. The IRS website also has a Withholding Calculator (, which can assist you in determining whether you need to submit a new W-4 form. You can use the results from the Calculator to fill out the form and adjust your income tax withholding.

Payroll will no longer be accepting paper W-4 forms for existing employees. Existing employees must submit W-4 changes via CLASS-Web. If you would like to make changes to your state withholding, you must complete the State of California Form DE 4 ( and send it to the Payroll Office.

Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to update your W-4 in CLASS-Web. If you have questions about this procedure, you may contact Kathleen Cramsey at 925-485-5228. If you have questions about specifics in completing the form (IE: selecting a filing status, multiple jobs, dependent amount or if you should have an additional amount withheld) please contact your tax adviser. 

Check Distribution

All CLPCCD employees are paid the last working day of the month and receive an earnings statement, which provides detailed information regarding earnings, taxes, deductions, benefits, and leave balances. Payroll checks are mailed to the employee's home address. Direct Deposit stubs are available on Class Web. Submit a Salary Warrant Distribution form to Payroll to change or set up distribution of your paycheck.

Requesting a Manual Check

Payroll understands that sometimes there is a need for a special payroll check. All requests for a payroll check outside the normal check run must be accompanied by a Special Payroll Check Request form. This form was approved by the Senior Leadership Team effective July 2019. Please compete the form in its entirety and submit to Payroll for review. Submissions of this request form is not a guarantee that a manual check will be issued.

Paycheck Changes For those receiving paper checks:

Effective with the July 2016 paychecks, you will receive pressure-sealed paychecks instead of the current paychecks enclosed in an envelope. If you receive paychecks through the mail, we don't want you to mistake them for junk mail. Carefully open the check following the instructions on the pressure-sealed mailer. The District encourages those of you who receive paper checks to sign up for direct deposit. Depending on how the dates fall and when we have to send the electronic file to the bank, sometimes those who have direct deposit see the money in their bank accounts prior to the pay date.

Direct Deposit

CLPCCD encourages the use of direct deposit to ensure prompt delivery of your earnings. Submit a Direct Deposit Form to set up automatic deposit of your earnings to your checking or savings account. Generally, direct deposit is effective after two pay periods provided the form is received by the payroll deadline date according to the Payroll Deadline Schedule.

Paycheck Changes For those receiving direct deposit notices:

Effective July 2016, direct deposit information will be available electronically. You will receive an e-mail with a secure link. The sender will be CLPCCD Payroll. The password for retrieving your direct deposit advice is the first four letters of your last name (in lower case) and the last four numbers of your W number. Your e-mail will arrive to your Outlook e-mail account. If you have not been assigned an Outlook account, the e-mail will arrive to your Zone account. Employees who do not have a district-assigned e-mail account will receive an e-mail to their personal e-mail account. This information will also be available in CLASS-Web. We will no longer be mailing out paper direct deposit notices.

Employees needing to change accounts on an already existing direct deposit must submit a Direct Deposit Change form. Payroll needs to be notified immediately if an account is closed so they do not submit funds to a closed account.

Sick Leave

Sick leave is posted to the record once a year at the beginning of the fiscal year. If an employee leaves employment, the sick leave accrual will be adjusted for the partial year. Sick leave accumulated at retirement will be transferred to STRS/PERS and may increase service credit. Sick leave balances are posted each month on your paycheck or direct deposit earnings statement. The balance does not include any time taken from the 16th through the end of that month.

Refer to your Bargaining Unit Agreement for sick leave specifics.

Classified Contract or Faculty Contract

Pay Periods and Leave Reports

Absence Requests

Absence requests are used to obtain prior approval for an expected absence, e.g. vacation, personal necessity, jury duty, floating holiday, etc. Sick leave must be recorded after the employee returns from the absence. Absence requests must be approved by the immediate supervisor. This report is due in the Payroll department according to the Payroll Deadline Schedule.

The following forms must be used by the classifications below:

403(b) and 457(b) Plans

Employees may set aside money for retirement on a pre-tax basis through a 403(b) and/or 457(b) plan. These plan contributions are deducted from gross pay before federal and state income taxes are calculated. The employee determines the amount they want to contribute to the plan, up to a maximum determined by the IRS. For any explanation of the difference between a governmental 457(b) vs 403(b) plan. The steps to set up plans are as follows:

  1. Review the list of eligible vendors at the Envoy Plan Services client center. Envoy Plan Services is the district's third party administrator for our plans. After determining which company you want to select, contact this vendor directly to set up your account. This needs to be completed first so that when payroll deductions begin, vendor can post these funds to your account without delay.
  2. Complete the salary reduction agreement: 403(b) or 457(b). This allows the district to begin your payroll deductions. These forms can be faxed to Envoy directly at (877) 513-2272. All salary reduction agreements need to be received by the last working day of the month to be effective the following month.

You may log in to Envoy's participant web site to view activity related to your account. You may also contact the Envoy Customer Service Center. Click here for IRS limitations for the current calendar year and the previous two calendar years. Click here for general information on the retirment plans.

Transit Plan

Employees can save taxes on their commute costs by enrolling in this Transit Plan. The transit plan allows an employee to have a specific monthly amount (up to IRS maximum) to be exempt from taxes. Employees that wish to enroll in the plan must complete the Workterra Flexible Spending Accounts Enrollment Form and submit it to the Payroll department. Payroll will deduct the amount authorized on a pre-tax basis. The employee will receive a Visa® card from Workterra (the district's third party administrator) at the beginning of the next month with your deduction amount loaded onto the card. Employees can use this card to buy Clipper cards, BART tickets, bus tickets, van pool, etc. This plan cannot be used for bridge tolls, gasoline, etc. The amount of the deduction can be changed or stopped at any time with a new authorization form.

Vacation Pay-Out

Eligible retiring or resigning employees are entitled to vacation pay-out of all remaining accumulated vacation. All absences up to the resignation date will first be deducted and the remaining balance will be paid on the paycheck.

Employee Designation of Beneficiary

The District has created an Employee Designation of Beneficiary form for all employees to complete. This is keeping with Government Code Section 53245, which allows an employee to designate who the District can pay their unpaid wages (including any applicable leave accruals) to in the event that the employee passes away while still employed by the District. The employee may change the designation from time to-time.

Please take a moment to complete the form, be sure to sign the form and return it to the Payroll Office. Payroll will keep this form on file so in the event of the death of an employee Payroll can promptly pay the employee’s beneficiary. This designation is only for the District. It is not valid for any other system, for example PERS, STRS, or PARS.

Payment of Last Check

California Labor Code section 220 exempts school districts and community colleges from California Labor Code section 201, which provides for immediate payment of employees whose employment has terminated. Employees are paid their final pay on the next scheduled payroll cycle.

Contact Information

Please contact Kathleen Cramsey if you have questions regarding Payroll. She can be reached at (925) 485-5228.